[asterisk-biz] Unlimited DID

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Aug 14 15:03:09 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 12:29 -0700, Jai Rangi wrote:
> Well !  based on the real meaning of Unlimited in your dictionary,
> actually there should be not any any such word called  Unlimited.
> Cause there is no unlimited sun, not unlimited water in ocean, these
> is no unlimited air in space. Everything humans know has been
> calculated.
> To me if I can get something more than I can use in near future that
> is unlimited for me. Of if I can stay on phone with looking at clock
> that is unlimited.
> BTW when I will sign contract with you I will put a limits of 50
> channels per DID ;) .
>
> -Jai

Well there is a difference between saying something like "unlimited
minutes" and then not allowing someone to use the channels 24/7.  If you
dont want people to use it 24/7 dont call it unlimited :)

In the case of DIDs if you say unlimited channels, how many people doing
1000 channels as a joke (or perhaps they are doing it to "reverse
wardial" where they spoof caller id to get CNAM results passed along but
never answer so it costs them nothing - something that some providers
bundle in - hint broadvoice *will* cancel you after a day or two of
doing that or so a friend tells me who was doing this :)

They do not have to answer the phone to cause the PSTN circuit to be
allocated, just placing the call does that.  This can cause congestion
on the PSTN and the carrier there may not be happy about it and may
decide that things have to be mitigated to prevent others from having
affected service.  If they dont at some point "all circuits are busy"
errors will be reported to callers somewhere, either to the circuit that
feeds you, or to the circuit that feeds the PSTN switch, either way.

With the recent phone related DDoS attacks against hte church of
scientology where they intentionally tried to flood the systems so the
phone lines were always busy, it goes to show that having the wrong
customer can cause this as well, and it can affect your other
customers.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200