[asterisk-biz] FWD moving to $30 annual membership fee

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Aug 12 12:20:59 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 09:58 -0700, randulo wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Trixter aka Bret McDanel
> <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
> > For those that dont get the bullitins, FWD isnt going to be free
> > anymore, here is the notice that was sent to me.
>
> Out of curiosity, are you planning on paying? (I would if I actually
> used it, but I haven't in several years.)

I dont use it, and even if I did I would have problems paying for a
service that is internet only.  Sure they incur cost to maintain the
registry of who is where and all that, but FWDOut rarely works because
too many people dont terminate calls off their box, but do try to get
credits, its a voip only service so I see little value.  The only reason
as I see it to pay are to either support FreeWorldDialup (no longer
free) and/or to receive calls from FWD users that cant configure
something to dial a non FWD address.

I would instead look for something more like google talk which
incorporates text and audio, and happens to be free, or whatever.
Googletalk also bought out grand central and are doing their "beta"
thing now, those that got in are able to make free phone calls, those
that didnt have to wait.  I do not know how long it will remain free,
but this does indicate that google is *finally* going to move towards
sip (something they have claimed they would do for a long time, but then
got sued by RTI over LCR patents and they pulled it until that could be
resolved).

And they are half of what skype is with unlimited in country calling, so
for many who dont care about protocols but do want to communicate, they
would probably switch if they have to pay something or move to one of
the other free non-pstn integrated services.

I almost think this will be a death nail in the coffin of FWD, I may be
wrong, but I do not think enough will pay for something they can get
free from other places, or do free for themselves.
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200