[asterisk-biz] Federal and State Surcharges and Taxes

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Aug 6 01:41:33 CDT 2008

Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> But generally most people asking questions here are asking about voip
> related services, and rather than fight it I just decided to play the
> odds and include information that would make it apparent that the
> federal taxes only apply to voip.  Based on your response that mission
> objective was accomplished since it was clear to you that it did apply
> to voip, and really little else.

To be sure, most things on the Asterisk business list conceptually
adhere to VoIP;  no controversy there.  :-)

As to whether the question was about the obligations of a VoIP service
provider, that was not clear at all, which is why I was surprised by
your response.  People use Asterisk - and indeed, VoIP - in innumerable
capacities, of which a communications service provider is only one
conceivable option.

I would've been just as ready to assume that the question was about
state / county sales tax and/or some liability of a federal character.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems