[asterisk-biz] Click-to-call lawsuit - Voip Inc.

C. Savinovich c.savinovich at itntelecom.com
Tue Aug 5 12:10:01 CDT 2008

  How can a concept be trademarked?  Isn't it the technical implementation
(architecture) of the concept that can be trademarked??  Specifically in the
case of Voip, inc, the software/hardware/algorithm they used, provided it is
proprietary, can be theirs for trademark.  BUT, if someone appears later and
implements the same concept with entirely different
equipment/software/hardware etc, etc (in other words, done from scratch),
example: current asterisk implementations of click-to-call...  then there is
just no trademark infringement.  The first sentence on the trademark
abstract says "...A telephone call connection ARCHITECTURE".

   Case in point:  Microsoft didn't receive the windows NT drivers from
Novell... they just went ahead and wrote them from scratch with reverse
engineering.  No legal contest because they never copied anything.

   Am I wrong? Fine, I am no trademark lawyer.  Someone please correct me if
I am.  But to me it just looks like someone who wants to bully its way into
the market by scaring companies who won't want to spend the legal fees.

C. Savinovich