[asterisk-biz] FRAUD: BE AWARE

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Mon Apr 21 08:15:34 CDT 2008

Good to know he's picking on someone else. ;)

For the last 3 years, we've been getting one particular individual (or
small group) from Egypt that does the same thing. If you follow their
traces back as far as you can go, they all ultimately originate from
accounts on Link.net in Egypt. We've worked with the FBI and British
Authorities to try and track things down. The Egyptian authorities have
been little help. Link.net is either woefully ignorant or, more likely,
complicit in the activities.

The charges come in from IPs all OVER the world (proxies galore out
there), but connections can be traced back to Egypt, Jordan, and Paltel
(Link.net is firewalled out completely from our services).

It comes in waves. We'll see nothing for a month, and then a spate of
several days of concerted charges (sometimes as many as 30-40 attempted
charges in a day). From the looks of it, it looks like someone's going
through a VoIP directory one by one in a circuit. When he gets to us, we
get hit. When enough of his charges don't go through or we've notified
enough people that his cards begin to get cancelled and he feels the
pinch, he moves on. Until the next time 'round.

We've seen some posts on militant fora out there with the accounts that
had charged stolen cards, advertising that this guy (who, from his
colloquial Arabic, seems to be in his young 20's) is willing to offer
hacked accounts to anyone who wants to, in essence, stick it to the
Americans (even though we're not an American company).

I keep hoping that one day he'll get hit by a bus, but alas... it hasn't
happened yet.

N.