[asterisk-biz] Xorcom's X1000 V.s Digium's Appliance

Craig Lawrence craig at mytel.net.au
Fri Sep 21 18:43:56 CDT 2007

Hi

We're looking to buy a few of Appliance Units for a customer install and
just noticed that there's a new one from Xorcom
http://www.xorcom.com/products/xr1000.

We've yet to touch either unit and we're wondering whether anyone is
able to comment on the relative merits of Digium's Appliance V.s
Xorcom's XR1000 in terms of price, concurrent calls, max SIP
registrations, heat, Voicemail limits, transcoding limits, tech support,
etc?

As far as I know the Asterisk Appliance is USD$1250 or so and the end
customer is encouraged to purchase support - see
http://www.digium.com/en/products/hardware/subscriptions.php.

The BIG problem here is that the support service isn't supplied by the
vendor but by the Digium Distro in your region (as far as I can
determine).  This wouldn't normally be an issue for us, however the
Digium Distro in our region is actually in the same market selling
Asterisk solutions and consulting services. There is a real risk that
they will speak to and poach our customer after we do all the sales leg
work.

Therefore the Xorcom could be a better choice - we could sell a similar
subscription based support service (thanks Digium for drafting that up)
using our 1st level and 2nd level support engineers with email support
from Xorcom.

BTW - I'm only considering Xorcom as an alternative as I hear good
things about their products and I also hear that they were involved in
development of the Asterisk Zaptel drivers (so they should know their
stuff). I'm not looking for suggestions of alternative appliances.

Thanks

Craig Lawrence