[asterisk-biz] Routing large call volumes (400 concurrent calls+)

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Sep 20 12:45:31 CDT 2007

Mitul Limbani wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>

> Quoting Chris Bagnall <chris at minotaur.it>:
>
>> Greetings list,
>>
>> I've recently been approached by a traditional PSTN LCR provider who
>> are trying to break into the VoIP market and set themselves up. They
>> have good contacts with some of the large carriers here in the UK who
>> are happy to install interconnects into the datacentre in which they
>> have rackspace.
>>
>> They're in a tricky position: they won't be generating anywhere near
>> enough volume to justify one of the big Cisco gateways (or similar),
>> but they will have sufficient volume to make PRI cards in asterisk
>> servers rather inefficient.
>>
>> Initially the main carrier offered to install 16 E1s as a starting
>> point for them, but:
>> a) as their call volume increases, having lots of E1 ports and cables
>> seems incredibly inefficient compared to an E3 or TDMoE.
>> b) I can't help but feel asterisk might not be the most appropriate
>> solution for something of this scale
>
> I believe you can put up 16 E1s on to a single server and which runs asterisk.
> If you require any assistance on that front, do contact us.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Mitul Limbani,
> Founder & CEO,
> Enterux Solutions,
> The Enterprise Linux Company (TM),
> www.enterux.com

Obviously you cannot put 16 E1s on a single server.  And at least in the
US, getting 16 T1s makes no sense.  It costs just as much as a T3 (28 T1s)

You can do it, I would inquire about an E3 (I suppose there has to be
such a thing).  A T3 comes as two coaxial cables, one send, on receive
and would attach to a MUX to break out your E1s.

Seven servers should do the trick.

Thanks,
Steve