[asterisk-biz] Trixbox Pro?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Sep 1 14:39:22 CDT 2007

On 9/1/07, Steve Totaro <stotaro at first-notification.com> wrote:
> The concept may be good for a home user or a very small business.  Other
> than that, it sounds good on paper but the eventualities will have
> customers jumping ship for CPE.

perhaps, but if they are doing voip and the inet is broke then there
is little difference to having 'command and control' somewhere else
that is managed.  The management aspect of a remote site of allegedly
trained and skilled people can be quite appealing, while offloading
media and other aspects to a local server.

There is an open source communications platform that has  similar
capabilities built in for call control to be hosted elsewhere but a
local device to chew cpu for conferencing, sip registrations, etc.
There is a tcp based socket interface that can give control of either
1 call or the entire switch over to a remote system, which allows for
basically 'agi' style ability without actually shipping the agi type
program to the customer, which can mean faster upgrades, better source
code control for commercial apps (how many have complained that
someone 'stole' asterisk based programs and are reselling them on this
list alone?), etc.  However, since its not an asterisk based product I
wont mention its name on this list.

So there are markets for this type of technology, I just dont think
the market is fully aware of some of the advantages, which is a job
for sales/marketing types anyway.  Hosted voice apps are a growing
market, and I think that this is just a finer scale allowing for more
freedom and flexibility in how and where things are hosted.  Freedom
is a good thing, as is choice, for that reason I wont condemn the
efforts of anyone who offers a greater selection to others.

As for everything else it does, I dont know, never used trixbox, dont
really care to at this point.
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200