[asterisk-biz] Bad Apples?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Oct 29 13:08:53 CDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Steve Totaro <stotaro at first-notification.com> wrote:

> I would say it depends.
>
> If you keep it to a review of facts and avoid slander and more
> importantly, it directly relates to this community, I would say post.

generally slander/libel must be 2 things, 1. bad for the perosn/thing that
you said it about and 2. untrue.  the laws in your area may vary, but
generally those are the elements that are universal.  Saying something bad
about someone may not be in itself enough, saying something untrue may not
in itself be enough (in the US for example it has to be believable by at
least some generally although not always).

But a review of just the facts would let others know without impairing your
ability to look professional.  Ultimately the decision is still yours, and
there are weird laws all over, Ireland for example has some pretty strict
data privacy laws and debt collection laws.  So if you are trying to collect
on the debt saying something may be bad, if you or they are in a
jurisdiction that has laws that would prevent sharing that information that
could be bad.

Of course I say this as someone who has never used your services, so it
would be impossible for the information to be about me, I think the message
was clear to whomever it was, that you intend on sharing the information
about what would seem to be a bad debt, as well as about whom, if they
havent figured it out from the description of 'they are a regular poster to
the list' as well as being a customer of yours, and everything else they are
pretty bad off.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200