[asterisk-biz] PRI Gateway for Asterisk

David Cook david.cook at jpcompserv.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 12:36:38 CDT 2007

Andy Gee wrote:
> The primary reason for a gateway instead of a card is that the powers
> that be here want to run Asterisk on a partition on a AS/400.  I have
> not been able to sway that decision even though the card route is a less
> expensive solution.
>
> Andy

We have a similar situation but have needed to run a legacy Telrad PBX
in parallel with a test Asterisk VOIP PBX.

The way we have got round it is to run a minimal configuration of
Asterisk in combination with a multi-interface Digium PRI card on a 1U
short depth Supermicro server. The OS is a minimal CentOS installation.

Effectively we have a PRI to IAX2 to PRI gateway which has operated
flawlessly for 18 months. In the same time we have 3-4 test VOIP PBX
systems and the Telrad is still non-the-wiser that it isn't still
talking directly to the Telco.

I bet this would be cheaper, easier to configure and more flexible that
a proprietary PRI to SIP Gateway. You also get the advantage of IAX2
trunking rather than SIP.

Best regards
David