[asterisk-biz] PRI confusion

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sat Nov 24 16:18:25 CST 2007

2007/11/24, emist <emistz at gmail.com>:

> Hey guys,
>
> I was hoping someone could clarify this for me since i've been trying to
> find out for a while now to no avail. Im thinking of deploying a call
> routing service through asterisk. Basically I want people to be able to
> call a number through the PSTN and then call whatever extension to be
> routed through a voip termination provider.
>
> Im guessing using a PRI is the best way to do this. However, im confused
> as to how it all works. Say a PRI has 23 usable channels, does that mean
> that I will be able to route 23 calls at the same time or does it mean
> that I would have to split 11 channels for incoming voice traffic(from
> PSTN) and 11 channels for outgoing voip traffic?

Typically, a call has two legs: an inbound and an outbound leg.

Your users will use 1 channel when they dial in to your PRI.

When they dial out, if you choose route the call back to the PRI, it will
use another channel so in this scenario your capacity would be effectively
divided by 2.

If however you choose to route the call through a VoIP service provider, it
won't use any of your PRI channels, but it will use some of bandwith
instead.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.