[asterisk-biz] Dedicated Server

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Sat Nov 24 14:01:05 CST 2007

Peter Beckman wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Nick Seraphin wrote:
>

>>Will Asterisk work on the Amazon EC2 cloud?  I checked into this a while
>>back and everything I read said no one could get it to work yet.  Do you
>>know people are are using it successfully?
>>
>>What about ztdummy for timing?  Will that work on EC2 too?
>>

>  I haven't heard of people using it successfully, however at the recent
>  Boston VON a guy was running asterisk in Xen, which is I believe what EC2
>  works on.  There supposedly exists a patch for ztdummy that does NOT use a
>  USB chip for timing, and thus will work just fine in Xen.
>
>  Supposedly.  :-)
>
>  If you do get it to work, I'd love to know.  EC2 rocks.

I looked at one patch that used the kernel timer. It was based on a
1000hz timer. I have seen vendor-hosted xen kernels with that value
changed to 100 hz or 250 hz. If you use any type of outsourced xen VM,
be sure to ask the vendor about this. Also be sure they provide the
appropriate include files for their kernel build. That will allow you to
build/install kernel modules on your VM.

There are a lot of other things that might be changed in a vendor xen
configuration. I have some things here on my own xen hosts that run
fine. They don't run so well on outsourced VM's I have tried.