[asterisk-biz] Asterisk Performance Results

Danny Froberg danny at froberg.org
Sun Nov 18 17:54:07 CST 2007

Alistair,

Let me know if FSN can help.

/Danny

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Alistair
Cunningham
Sent: den 16 november 2007 22:54
To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-biz] Asterisk Performance Results

Senad Jordanovic wrote:
> Alistair Cunningham wrote:

>>> Very good question and quick reading!  This issue is not addressed in
the
>>> test plan.
>>>
>>> To check for voice quality we performed subjective listening test at
high
>>> loads and the quality was good.
>>>
>>> We spent some time trying to think of a simple way to quantitatively
measure
>>> voice quality during the test, but could not come up with a practical
>>> solution that was easy and affordable.  We would appreciate any input on
>>> easy ways to collect voice quality data.
>> In that case, you're getting better scalability than our own testing
>> with vanilla Asterisk 1.2 by a factor of around 2. While I'm sure Digium
>> have made performance improvements for 1.4, I'm surprised by the jump.
>>
>> Would you be willing to carry out load testing and tuning of other
>> software on a commercial basis? Specifically I'm thinking of Enswitch,
>> which uses Asterisk and OpenSER for telephony. We've tested to 5000
>> concurrent calls, but don't have the test environment to go further.
>
> Alistair,
>
> Very Interesting!!!
>
> You have no environment to test above 5000 calls but claim that your
> customers are passing 100,000 of thousands in real time...?
>
> Regards,
>
> Senad
> www.bicomsystems.com

Senad,

That's correct, but not the whole story. Unfortunately we are under NDA
and I cannot give more details. Let's just say at this time we do not
have a test environment to test above 5000 calls under a variety of
different business models that our customers use.

If anyone has such an environment, and a proven track record of running
load testing and tuning, I'd be interested in hearing from them.
Otherwise, we'll probably build it ourselves.

Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111
+44 20 799 39 799
sip:acunningham at integrics.com