[asterisk-biz] Asterisk Performance Results

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Nov 16 19:42:00 CST 2007

On 11/16/07, Jim Dalton <jim.dalton at transnexus.com> wrote:

> Each call has two legs: one call leg inbound to the B2BUA and one call leg
> outbound from the B2BUA.
>
> 1500/400 calls
> 3000/800 call legs

I have been going through the PDF a bit and that prompted me for some
questions.

On page 48-50 you list "Test Rate (cps)" as 1-8,5.  Is the highest cps you
did was 8.5?  That seems low, especially with the 180 second ALOC (please
verify that there was a reference to a 180 second pcap file).

For 1 cps you have 600 completed calls but 3000 OSP CDRs why is there a 5:1
ratio on that?

Bandwidth utilization to calls:
CPS                     1          2         3        4         5
6         7         8        8.5
total calls           600    1200   1800   2400   3000   3600   4200
4800    5100
simultaneous*    185      369    556     741     924    1113   1293
1474    1563
MB one side*         2          4        6         8        10
12       14        16        16
* I rounded to be easier
Depending on ptime and other factors G.711 can take a varying amount of
bandwidth generally 80-90kbps, so if we were to take the reported bandwidth
usage, multiply by 8000 (to make it kbits) and divide by lets say 85 as an
average for overhead inclusion we can arrive at how many channels actually
could have done media.

2*8000/85=188  ok, so that is close to what sipp reports
4*8000/85=376 again very close to what sipp reports
16*8000/85=1505, really close to your 8/8.5cps (remember I did round numbers
and am estimating usage)

The bandwidth is reported as the "asterisk server" which would see both
legs, and thus should have 2x the bandwidth for the concurrent call count,
not half.  Why does the bandwidth used seem to indicate that only one leg
had media, or is that correct and only one leg had media?  Yes its broken
into Tx/Rx but for each leg you would Tx/Rx the amount listed and it appears
like half the media is missing.  Were you only monitoring one interface and
didnt report on the other?

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200