[asterisk-biz] "Whats New at Digium the Asterisk Company"

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu Nov 15 07:51:21 CST 2007

Having worked with Switchvox for several years, I can honestly say that it
is one of the only systems that I have worked with that allows you to do a
backup from the Web interface, install a new box, and re-install the backup
and have EVERYTHING work without a problem. It's quick, painless and easy
enough that I can write a procedure that a secretary can follow in an
emergency.

Most likely, this is the process that they are referencing in the press
release. That once a customer grows to a point where they need to migrate
from a virtualized solution  to a hardware solution, they simply transfer
the configuration from the Virtual PBX over to a physical box.

In fact, our standard DR protocol on Switchvox is to have a hot-spare
sitting on-site at the client, and in the event of a hardware failure on the
first box, we can easily re-load the last current backup onto the second
box, reboot it and the customer is back up in minutes, not hours or days. We
also add a hot-swap drive bay to the box so that in the event there is a
hardware failure that is non-drive related (MB or Memory) the client can
simply swap the hard drives and boot on the secondary system.

I'd love to see an active/active configuration w/ automated configuration
and data synchronization between the two PBX systems, so that it could be
manually failed over in a matter of minutes, but this increases the
complexity rather dramatically. It would probably have to involve some sort
of combination of Postgresql replication as well as some rsync or block copy
magic between the systems.

Only thing that I dislike about Switchvox is the limited subset of hardware
that it is "certified" to run on, although I've been assured that will be
changing in the near future as they get more resources from Digium to work
with.