[asterisk-biz] Preventing Fraud in VoIP Transactions

Eric Chamberlain eric at voxilla.com
Thu Nov 8 11:47:07 CST 2007

Internet Fraud is a huge problem for anyone doing business on-line and the credit card companies, PayPal, and Google Checkout don't really care, because they get their money back and fees from the merchants.

We have started using Visa's Verified by Visa program and MasterCard's SecureCode programs, in some cases these programs protect the merchant from chargebacks, even if the customer is not enrolled in the program.

With American Express, we open charge verification cases.  AmEx contacts the card holder and verifies the transaction.

In other cases, we ask the customer to sign a receipt and fax or e-mail a front and back copy of the credit card, and a copy of a government issued photo id and we verify the credit card information with the issuing bank.

--
Eric Chamberlain, CISSP
Chief Technical Officer