[asterisk-biz] Preventing Fraud in VoIP Transactions

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Wed Nov 7 15:34:09 CST 2007

Peter Beckman wrote:
> Has anyone noticed that almost all the fraud perpetrated lately has all
> come from AOL IP's?  It's driving me nuts.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to detect people using stolen US/Canada
> credit cards for VoIP services?  We're doing all sorts of stuff now, using
> MaxMind, Payflow Fraud Protection Services, and even automated phone-based
> verification, but these fraudsters keep on getting through, using what I
> assume to be Skype or other VoIP provider phone numbers to confirm their
> accounts.
>
> I guess I could just block AOL from signing up, but for a lot of people
> that is their ONLY connection to the net.
>
> Beckman
> Peter Beckman                                                  Internet Guy
> beckman at angryox.com                                 http://www.angryox.com/

It's not just AOL. It's all over. Any computer that can be used as a
proxy.  We see, on average, 3-5 fraud attempts a day. Some get through.
Some don't. 80% of these originate (if you follow the trail) back to
Link.net in Egypt. Until we firewalled them out completely, we saw so
MANY from Link.net, we decided that either every other IP address
belongs to a computer that is unsecured, or it's simply a front network
for a more involved organisation. As yet, the Egyptian Cyber Crime
division has been unable to offer any assistance. The other big source
for us is Russia.

They purchase through AOL, Comcast, Rogers, Time Warner, Optonline
(Cablevision), Bellsouth.net, AT&T, etc. Anything they can get into to
avoid fraud filters.

But don't feel you're alone.  You're not. The same people that hit us
time and time again also hit AT&T, Comcast, Vonage, and many of the 'big
boys.'  That, unfortunately, is the nature of accepting payments over
the internet for services. There's no product trail, so it's MUCH harder
to catch the perpetrators.