[asterisk-biz] OT - Global capitalism

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Sun Nov 4 11:27:01 CST 2007

Yes, the discussion is straying.

I question the notion, offered as axiomatic, that the "hard won" living
standard enjoyed by those born into industrialized nations is an
entitlement - and suggest that those producing goods for export to say,
the USA are hard winning they're own living standard. At some point (and
we are seeing it with the beginning of inflation in China, and the
export of outsourcing from India to more competitive locales),
equalization occurs and the rich become competitive again.

The part of capitalism that seems to make the comfortable squirm is that
we must continue to compete with the hungriest. Can we only hope that
someday we can assure a reasonable living standard with decent
opportunity for advancement of strivers in all parts of the world? More
than a hundred years of industrialization, and there are still people
living at subsistence levels. What's wrong with this picture? And what
does the disparity cost the rich?