[asterisk-biz] Bounties.

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Thu Nov 1 12:01:27 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 12:49 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
>
> > 	This is open source. And an open community. Bounties are not "work
> > for hire" fees, where the bounty offerer gets any exclusive rights to
> > what the bounty produces.
>
> <set disposition="pragmatism" mode="attempted">
>
>    This is true.  I realise there are other incentives.  But in that case,
> just put out a request for a feature so that it can be filled by an
> implementor that is driven by the same sorts of compulsions and
> motivations that incentivise open source development in general.  My
> thought was more that offering these kinds of sums - even if they are
> token and symbolic - is fundamentally insulting.
>
>    Nobody worth their salt is going to spend 3-4 hours implementing
> anything for $50.  If they are, it's for reasons altogether unrelated to
> the $50, in which case it ends up being essentially a waste of money and
> an unnecessary cosmetic enhancement to the requisition.

	Why do you think that offering $50 is insulting, when a feature request
is not? The point I just made is that the bounties are cumulative. If
there's an insult, its by the people who expect the small initial bounty
to deliver a completed request, rather than add to it. In the same vein,
people who expect their requests without bounties to get more attention
are even more selfish, if not necessarily "insulting".

	Offering $50 along with a development request is no insult. If someone
were to demand it be fulfilled for no more than $50, when it could take
substantial time and experties, would be insulting, but I see no
evidence to imply that. Just your inference, which I think I have
explained is inaccurate.

	You want pragamtism, offer a bounty for a more effective bounty
admininstration system, perhaps one like I described. And then hassle
people to offer more bounties to add to it and the others. You'll catch
more flies with honey than with vinegar.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein