[asterisk-biz] Bob Maguire - Vacation

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Tue May 29 11:35:32 MST 2007

I posted my sarcastic remarks and did not expect someone to actually
check into it for me.

The point is that vacation autoresponders can be a bad idea in general.
People are advised to make sure mail and newspapers do not accumulate
when they are away. There are lots of other tips given. The idea is that
you don't want to advertise that "the cat is away and the mice can
play". A lot of lists have searchable web archives that are updated
daily. Some of those lists are for things like local user groups.
Somebody could search them daily looking for potential burglary targets.
I always kept vacation disabled on servers. A few times customers asked
for it and I explained the security implications. They didn't argue the
point at all. I told them anytime they really do need an autoresponder I
can set one up manually in a few minutes.