[asterisk-biz] Which is better SPA94x series or Polycom 430

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Sat May 19 15:57:03 MST 2007

On 5/16/07, C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1) They will not officially give out the provision details.
>
> What do you mean by that? I have them provisioned using http and it works great.

Well none of the sample configfiles from the internet every work for
me. Linksys has an "spc.exe" program it serves to functions:

1) Create the example configfile
2) Encode to binary the configfile, or encrypt the configfile. Also it
allows to "target" the configfile to a certain MAC address so it wont
load on another phone

Using the spc program everything works perfect. Only problem is
Linksys will not give you spc.exe no matter what you do. Yes they
claim they give it if you meet the requirement... but has anyone done
it? No is the answer. There's http://spc.pifiu.com but for the
SPA-phone the program is just a bit old, it does work but the phone
constantly will download the config because some parameter is not
right.

> > Polycom also refuse to give end users their firmware. Only the older versions.
>
> They do give it thru the resellers.

And by definition the reseller is not the end user. Polycom does not
distribute firmware to end-users.

RE polycom sound quality: There is no question they are one of the
best. Its sort of like buying a Pioneer Elite PDP. You can pay $5,000
for the Pioneer or get 90+% of the quality from someone else. I
wouldn't shop on sound quality alone because most of the phones
already sound better than any analog line. The fact that the Linksys
have a backlight on their display I feel is more important than the
marginal increase of sound quality a Polycom might offer.