[asterisk-biz] 44-70x Numbers: Block? Evil?

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Thu May 3 08:34:11 MST 2007

This weekend a bunch of people with fraudulent credit cards hit my business
and set up a bunch of forwarding to +44 70x numbers.  Not having done much
work in the UK yet, I didn't know what these were until I read this:

   http://www.joewein.de/sw/419-phone-uk.htm#phone-uk

   "Most "419" scams using +44 70xx numbers involve emails that are sent
    from Nigeria and other West African countries, not from the UK! If you
    see a +44 70xx number in a 419 scam email it usually means you're dealing
    with criminals based in Nigeria."

When I tried it in Skype, skype also blocked the 44 70x number.

Do most ITSPs block +44 70x?  Are there other numbers like this that should
be blocked?  Is it only ITSPs that block it, where traditional telephony
companies are simply more than happy to connect your call?  Are ITSPs here
to provide dial-tone and connectivity regardless of how good or bad the
call might be?

Beckman