[asterisk-biz] Digium, Polycom, and Netxusa Cutting Us Out?!?

Charles Vance cbvance at msn.com
Fri Mar 30 21:47:12 MST 2007

I see what you mean. I suppose the speakeasy/vitelity example is not a good one since you lose control once the packets hit the cloud. But there are other T1 providers such as bandwidth.com that also offer Qos from start to finish and will give 5X9 reliability, and I am sure that they don't prohibit asterisk.Speakeasy aggressively markets their hosted pbx and that is why they don't want you using asterisk. They would much prefer that you sell their phones and hosted pbx.Ben Vance

mountaintop solutionsDate: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 23:12:34 -0400From: bill at cosi.comTo: asterisk-biz at lists.digium.comSubject: Re: [asterisk-biz] Digium, Polycom, and Netxusa Cutting Us Out?!?

Now you say end-to-end, and I'm unclear as to the meaning.  But you
originally suggested something else.

QoS only serves its intended purpose if one controls all the hops
between a packet source and destination.  If my ISP does not also also
provide the VoIP termination, my packets must traverse the net where
there is no QoS assurance.  So mixing Speakeasy with, say, Vitelity as
you suggest is problematic.  Thus my question: It might work very well
anyway, but isn't there a qualitative difference?

Charles Vance wrote:

  Why can't you go with any one of a number of other broadband
providers that will still give you the end to end service you need?
Bandwidth.com is one that comes to mind they offer decent pricing and
end to end voip origination/termination and a 99.999 SLA to boot.

There are others as well.  Also, Qos can be managed from within your
router as long as you have a good reliable bandwidth connection.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood you to say that you were
having problems with speakeasy since they wouldnt let you use Asterisk
over their Voip channels. Im just saying there are many other
combinations of sip trunking and voip transport out there. Aren't
there? (BTW I didn't realize speakeasy would prohibit use of Asterisk
on their network, maybe I misunderstood?)

Ben Vance

mountaintop solutions