[asterisk-biz] Digium, Polycom, and Netxusa Cutting Us Out?!?

Charles Vance cbvance at msn.com
Thu Mar 29 08:15:19 MST 2007

It's smart for companies to identify and certify a range of solutions that work well with its equipment. What is not smart is to impose false controls on resellers especially when the alternative product i.e. sangoma vs the digium card, is superior in every way just to prop up sales of its own products.The free market will always decide who makes it and who does not.Ben Vance

mountaintop solutions
800-874-4413  ext 500fax 309-285-8312> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:21:21 -0500> From: kpfleming at digium.com> To: asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com> Subject: Re: [asterisk-biz] Digium, Polycom, and Netxusa Cutting Us Out?!?> > Darren Nickerson wrote:> > Please consider this a public appeal for Digium to allow choice in the> > market, rather than artificially restricting consumers' options. It's> > better> > for everyone, including Digium I would argue, for there to be competition.> > We move a lot of your product ourselves - we'd really like to be able to be> > blessed as 'official' by y'all but we're really not in favor of restricting> > the consumer's choice, and applaud the efforts of Sangoma, Xorcom, and even> > Rhino. The competition has raised everyone's game, led to competitive> > market> > pricing, and broadened Asterisk's reach and credibility.> > You will need to communicate this to the people at Digium who handle> reseller relations (which is certainly not me!). I understand your> position, but keep in mind that this policy is in no way uncommon in the> telephony industry. For example, if you sell Cisco gear and are a Cisco> authorized reseller, you are not allowed to install> third-party/refurbished/used/etc. components in your customers' Cisco> switches/routers, because Cisco wants to ensure that they are> represented well.> > In fact, it's really not uncommon for _any_ market where someone wants> to be an 'authorized' reseller representing a manufacturer. It's one> thing to be authorized to sell -solutions- from multiple vendors, but> something else entirely to package components from competing vendors and> still claim to be representing one of them as an 'authorized reseller'.> _______________________________________________> --Bandwidth and Colocation provided by Easynews.com --> > asterisk-biz mailing list> To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit:>    http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-biz