Res: [asterisk-biz] Digium, Polycom, and Netxusa Cutting Us Out?!?

Flavio Goncalves flavio at asteriskguide.com
Wed Mar 28 21:50:31 MST 2007

My one minute:

The only thing that does not change is our value into the customer. This is the only thing we have to sell, our value as trusted consultants and advisors. One thing that some companies don't realize is that service business does not scale, it doesn't mind if it is NextUSA, Microsoft or Cisco. You will probably find higher skilled professionals for a better price that does not work for the manufacturer. The administrative costs and margins over service are prohibitive and talent is very hard to find. Initial investments for starting a "service and support” business are very low. That's why there are thousands of VARs around the globe. A wise company would do everything to get the trust and sympathy from this "Army", some of them with more than 20 years of business experience. Any software or hardware manufacturer, who gives a differentiated condition to a single company, is simply shooting their own feet. The biggest issue is how this works with an open source developer like
 Digium? What are their revenue models? Are we partners or competitors? The "open source manufacturer model" is new, confuse and cannot be compared to the traditional suppliers like Cisco and 3Com. Some of us are getting a good money with Asterisk without giving much back to Digium. Am I wrong?

Flavio