[asterisk-biz] 4PSA VoipNow 1.4 demo - some explanations

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Tue Mar 27 09:43:53 MST 2007

Stephen Cohen wrote:

> I know that programmers hate "Open Source" because it in some cases it
> cuts into their income.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I bet free consulting work is
something consultants hate because it sometimes cuts into their income.
  ;)

The truth is that your time and expertise is valuable and so is time and
expertise of those who write software products to serve others. Not many
  independent developers or small dev shops that I know of write,
maintain and improve software AND support it onsite at hundreds or
thousands of sites as well.  Many times, all they do is create and
maintain the software and in those cases, the software is the ONLY
revenue stream available.

Maybe a better question to ask is if a product in question provides
benefit enough (over OS alternatives or other commercial offerings) to
justify the money asked in return for it.  For many people, that answer
could very well be yes.  Otherwise, I'm betting Fonality or any of the
other great commercial GUIs out there wouldn't be doing that great.

> Just what does this product offer that Trixbox and/or Asterisknow either
> or both don't  offer?

Two really great products from what I can see and from I've read on the
lists.  But competition is great for everyone and pushes innovation in
competing products whether commercial or open source.

For example, Internet Explorer JUST got tabbed browsing, LOL.

Just my opinion.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee