[asterisk-biz] Vonage Vs. Verizon Update

Mark C mark at coccimiglio.net
Sun Mar 25 02:11:25 MST 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:

> A hardware provider and a service provider are two completely
> different animals.
> It is legal (in Maryland anyways) to sell products such drug
> paraphernalia, it only becomes a problem when it is used.
>
> Thanks
> Steve

This is not entirely true.  A product manufactured with the intent for
illegal use or specifically used to facility illegal activity is an
illegal item.  When it involves interstate commerce then its a federal
issue.  If you don't believe me then go ask Tommy Chong.  The only
exception to this are firearms which are protected in the US
Constitution.  I don't care to debate the points of state law as they
don't apply here.

What concerns me more is the curiously absence of Cisco Systems.   It is
my understanding that Vonage is largely a Cisco house (if not then
substitute appropriate vendor).  These patents involve using equipment
in their "Designed & Intended" use thus making the hardware manufacturer
liable on some points.  A company like Cisco has the "Guns & Ammo"
(Lawyers & Money)  to engage in a fight of this nature without a major
impact to their bottom line.  Vonage on the other hand has to draw
finance from other areas (e.g. marketing, system development, etc.) for
the duration thus slowing their growth unless they can come up with
additional capital for the fight.

Maybe this will remind Vonage that they are more like the small players
then the "Big Telcos" and start "playing nice" with the community that
they grew from.

Just my opinion, feel free to differ...

Mark Coccimiglio
IS Manager