[asterisk-biz] Cingular blocking 712 area code

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Tue Mar 20 07:43:17 MST 2007

	Isn't this blockage a "network neutrality" issue? Clearing it might be
covered under existing laws, but if it's a matter of "f* it, I'll pay
the fine", then the laws aren't working. It would seem to be a paradigm
of exactly the kind of anticompetitive practice the telcos are claiming
cannot happen on the Internet, even as they seek to protect their power
to do it anywhere, any time.

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 12:48 +0000, Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> On 3/20/07, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
>         http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070319-attcingular-blocks-cellular-customers-from-free-conference-call-services.html
>

>         I'm kind of confused, Cingular has to pay if I dial my 'Aunt'
>         in Iowa correct? So are they allowed to block her service from
>         being contacted by cingular phones as well?
>
>         Why isn't the FCC being called in to stop this?
>
>         If they have an issue then renegotiate the rates properly
>         through legal channels.
>

> there is a movement to halt this, alledgly its not just cingular but
> also qwest and others (although someone tried last night from qworst
> and it worked).  The movement involves contacting your atty general as
> well as the FCC.
>
> Qwest and AT&T are also withholding payments in violation of FCC
> rules.  This is all related to the AT&T lawsuit, which I am sure will
> get far uglier before it gets any better.
>

> --
> Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com     Bret McDanel
> Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
> http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!

(C) Matthew Rubenstein