[asterisk-biz] ATA that Supports T.38

Checkov, Andrew acheck at astelnet.net
Tue Mar 13 02:03:50 MST 2007

Hello Zoa,

Z> I'm not sure the Addpac would be the best solution.
cannot agree - Addpac looks like a Cisco clone with nearly the same
IOS inside.

Compare to cheaper ATAs from Linksys, Grandstream and many others it
has MUCH better T.38 implementation (probably due to more computing
power). All T.38 ATAs has one specific point - there is a viewable
silence gap between remote fax tone and local fax tone generated by
the ATA when T.38 switchover is done. Duration of this period with
most cheap ATAs is 2-3 seconds - and many fax machines don't like it
which results in not so stable operation. Both Cisco and Addpac switch from
remote to local fax tone immediatelly - you can recognise this
switchover only by changed sound level and sound distortions. As a
result fax machines works much better.