[asterisk-biz] Update: Actual Verizon Patent Numbers and ruling from Verizon v. Vonage

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Thu Mar 8 22:39:00 MST 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

> It seemed like no one could find the actual Verizon patents involved
> in the Verizon v. Vonage case that has been making the news.  So I did
> a little digging.  Let me tell you - the US Federal Government does
> not make these things easy! :)

  Honestly, I really believe that Vonage is happy with this verdict.  This
  means they get to go to the Federal Appelate Court, where there are
  actually judges who know and understand patent law, and have clerks who do
  too.  The next trial will be huge for Vonage because the patents will be closely
  examined by judges and clerks with a deep knowledge of patent law and
  prior art research.  I would bet that the patents that this court said
  they violated will be invalidated, thus the judgment overturned.

  I'm confident that Vonage will prevail, though I haven't looked at the
  patents myself.  The jury didn't look at whether or not Verizon's patents
  were valid, they looked at if they infringed on the patents, and Vonage
  probably did.  That was the right verdict.  Now the appeal will state that
  the patents aren't valid, and that will be the basis of the appeal (I
  think), and this is where Verizon's patents will be heavily scrutinized
  for validity and prior art.

Beckman