[asterisk-biz] CALEA

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 04:29:54 MST 2007

> CALEA support is generally more than just log files, thge government likes
> those log files in specific formats, they like the recordings done such that
> they can tell which leg of the call

To that I'd say touch noogies.. here's a comma delimited version with
headers :)

noise occured on (for background analysis), often they have a stereo
> recording where left channel is A leg, right channel is B leg, I have seen
> mp3 as well as regular CD audio for that.

I still don't see why the system can't do this out of the box?

CALEA support also means being able to record without alerting the user,
> since there is a

Again.. by DEFAULT Asterisk doesn't alert the user when recording begins.

provision against notification.  If you are a "interconnected VoIP provider"
> as defined in the CFR (ie 911, USF, etc apply to you) you have to be able to
> record all calls that go through you, not just the pstn ones - this means
> pc->pc if its through you.  I want to clarify before

Again.. Asterisk already acomplishes this.

someone gets upset over this, you are obviously exempt from pc->pc calls
> where signalling, etc do not go through you.

We have a call center and we record every single call that comes through
there.... granted the caller DOES know.. but only because we tell them in a
message.

On a side note..... am I expempt from CALEA if all I handle are CDR
records... and I issue re-invites for ALL traffic?  That is.. if someone
from me makes an outbound call and I terminate IP.. if I connect my
terminator directly to my client... does that absolve me? (I certainly don't
intend to do that.. but an interesting thought).