[asterisk-biz] CALEA

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Mar 5 20:31:46 MST 2007

On 3/6/07, Matt <mhoppes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something.. but isn't all this in your log files?

CALEA support is generally more than just log files, thge government likes
those log files in specific formats, they like the recordings done such that
they can tell which leg of the call noise occured on (for background
analysis), often they have a stereo recording where left channel is A leg,
right channel is B leg, I have seen mp3 as well as regular CD audio for
that.

CALEA support also means being able to record without alerting the user,
since there is a provision against notification.  If you are a
"interconnected VoIP provider" as defined in the CFR (ie 911, USF, etc apply
to you) you have to be able to record all calls that go through you, not
just the pstn ones - this means pc->pc if its through you.  I want to
clarify before someone gets upset over this, you are obviously exempt from
pc->pc calls where signalling, etc do not go through you.

Reinviting the media may not be an exception to this order.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!