[asterisk-biz] Recent REMOTE CRASH BUG

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Mar 4 13:32:00 MST 2007

Matt wrote:
> This is where I will respectfully disagree with you.   The Digium card
> is a PCI-x card.  The Sangoma card is a PCI-e card.   I suppose it is
> possible that the Dell MOBO has reserved IRQs set aside for PCI-e and
> PCI-x can't use them (why? I dunno).... but I can report that the
> Sangoma in the same 2950 DEFINATELY took an independent IRQ...
>
> Now here's the funny thing.  Both the Digium card and the Sangoma card
> were using the same riser slot.  For the one test we had a PCI-x riser,
> for the other a PCI-e riser...   With both the BioS was reporting the
> IRQ, and for the Sangoma PCI-e card I was able to independent change it.

This is an apples and oranges comparison, and there is no reason for us
to expect it to work any differently. The 'real' slot on the motherboard
is PCI Express; the riser cards have bridge chips on them. Dell
obviously chose to implement the PCI-X riser in a different way than the
PCI-E riser, and the result is different behavior.

This goes back to my original point: the IRQ assignment behavior has
nothing to do with the manufacturer/type/style of the card, and
everything to do with the implementation of PCI, IRQs, BIOS and other
bits by the system manufacturer.