[asterisk-biz] Anyone use Patton Products ?

A london3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 08:19:24 CDT 2007

The difference between Asterisk with T1/E1/PRI card and Patton/Cisco Gateway
is not explained in a few lines. Below is a few points from seen from my
experience. Surely others will have a different opinion.

   - I use both solutions in several Telecoms in Norway and UK.
   - Digiums T1/E1/PRI card normally cost much less than a dedicated
   Gateway.
   - Asterisk and T1/E1/PRI card can not reliable handle FAX and
T.38(This can be disputed)
   - Asterisk and T1/E1/PRI card can not reliable handle modem traffic
   over IP. (This can be disputed) Yes some people still use modems. :-)
   - Patton and Cisco can be hard to setup and configure if you don't
   know it.
   - The Linux part of Asterisk is much harder to configure with Digiums
   T1/E1/PRI card than just as stand alone Asterisk.
   - Asterisk and T1/E1/PRI card can be a very reliable efax gateway
   providing FAX from PSTN to pdf/tiff files.
   - With Patton and Cisco you need a Radius server like
   http://www.freeradius.org/ for your CDR generation.
   - Asterisk have excellent CDR generation tools.
   - Patton and Cisco is not a SIP registration server so you still need
   Asterisk or SER -Sip Express Router.

So it depends on your setup. If you don't need Fax from ATA to PSTN you may
be are better off using Asterisk only. If you need Fax you may need Patton
and Cisco.

Best Regards
Are Casilla
Astbill Development Team
http://astbill.com
AstBill - Free Billing Routing and Management software for Asterisk and
VOIP  - AstBill