[asterisk-biz] Re: Verizon Interconnection

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Tue Jun 12 14:10:32 MST 2007

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, David Boyd wrote:

> It seems to me that your idea of an entrepreneur is someone who has
> planned out every stage of their business life.  If you talk with
> investment companies about capital for funding a business you will find
> that the majority of qualified investors (people who have more than 5
> million dollars of liquid assets targeted for investment purposes and
> were not born with it)  made that money on what is called serendipitous
> activity, or un-planned business activities. If true this typically
> means that people made the most money by involving themselves in
> activities that had little to do with their core competencies. In fact
> most business creation of new technologies or ideas don't come because
> of the knowledge you have, but in your ability to leverage knowledge
> from areas that you do have into a money making idea that fit into the
> current business needs.
Sort of kind of. :)

a) You don't fail because you planned to fail - you fail because you
failed to plan.

b) I'd like to see the source of that statistics above. I maintain that if
you lack the capital and lack core competency, you are destined to fail.
Sure, serendipitous investing works if you have enough cash - aka "first
20M$ is always the hard ones", and you can hire people who do know what
they are doing.

> The point that you make about lurking until you have more knowledge and
> not posting would seem to be an oxymoron since without asking questions
> you typically don't learn.
So very wrong. You can and do learn quite a lot by listening to smart
people talk.

-alex