[asterisk-biz] Re: Verizon Interconnection

Nick Seraphin asterisk at eaglequest.com
Mon Jun 11 11:51:34 MST 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Paul wrote:

> Alex advised to hire somebody who knows what he is doing. In so many
> situations that is just good free advice. The ones who whine the most
> are those whose voip business plan allocates a tiny percentage to the
> engineering department. Alex can be brutally honest but his advice could
> prevent someone from throwing their money away.

Ask for engineering help and the engineering people will tell you to
increase your engineering budget.

Ask for marketing help and the marketing people will tell you to increase
your marketing budget.

Ask for support department/call center help and they will tell you to
increase your support department/call center budget.

Meanwhile you now need $40 million in venture capital to start a business
"the right way"... when most new small businesses start with less than
$50,000 available.

So is the answer "don't start a business if you don't have $40 million
available to do it RIGHT"?  I doubt many people on this list would find
that satisfying.

Most small businesses take a leap of faith with a small budget and fly by
the seat of their pants...  they have to wing it in the beginning...
making mistakes as they go along... maybe even pissing off a few customers
because of incompetance...  because that's the only way they can do it
without pissing away huge amounts of money they don't have.

*ANYONE* can start up a new company and make it work with $40 million in
capital.  It takes a true entrepreneur that can take out a second mortgage
on his house and turn it into a thriving business 5 years later with a lot
of sweat equity.

-- Nick