[asterisk-biz] Re: Verizon Interconnection

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Sun Jun 10 07:02:40 MST 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Matt wrote:
> 2 - You can access the IPs from the Internet, therefore, there is no
> need for a VPN.

That's not true - a VPN adds a layer of security and privacy, therefore is
worthwhile in many cases.

> You should never never never NEVER use public IPs behind a firewall
> (unless they can be accessed from the Internet).  To put a public IP
> behind a firewall where it can't be accessed is a waste of IP space, and
> asking for routing problems.

Actually, it is somewhat common to use public IP's when connecting
"internal" IP space from various organizations - for example, I know some
banking interconnects require that the members all get public IP's for
their private frame relay connections (ie - will never be routed) to
ensure that there are no conflicts.