[asterisk-biz] Re: Verizon Interconnection

Asterisk asterisk at widevoip.com
Sat Jun 9 09:32:59 MST 2007

Hello

many companies like Daimler Chrisler are using IP from public class but are
only routed inside their private network
they bought many years ago /16 space IP's and still use it as it was the way
to do before

using public addresses for internal use is wasting IP's, but i don't see any
specific problem for routing
all border routers are doing very simple firewalling (most of the time only
ACL)
if you have been assigned public IP's, i advise you to do antispoofing on
your border routers or gateways
to avoid incoming packets from internet with your IP's

also, ISP are dedicating IP from their IP plan only for securing the
administration of all equipment
and using a VPN over public IP space like described for Verizon make easier
managing a lot of tunnels
with different customers

just to explain, if you are using standard IPSEC with presahred connected to
same VPN concentrator
how are you going to manage two users with same local IP adress space

for example:

verizon internal = 10.1.1.0/24 <-> IPSEC <-> customer 1 internal =
10.1.2.0/24

and you start business with them and your internal network is 10.1.2.0/24

do you think verizon wil change on his side, i think you'll have to do it
and it can be a mess

best regards

thierry

  _____