No subject

Thu Jul 12 09:23:04 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 04:29 -0400, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:<br>
&gt; unlimited calling subscription, &nbsp;and looked into it. I am in no way<br>
&gt; affiliated with MagicJack, except that I saw the ad and was curious. It<br>
&gt; was introduced at the TED conference last April, and was buggy through<br>
&gt; last Summer. But it&#39;s been around a year now, has a budget for<br>
&gt; mass-market advertising.<br>
&gt;<br>
as an FXS port) and their service. &nbsp;They do not have linux support for<br>
it, only windows and osx.<br>
I have already approached them about linux stuff, but that was just<br>
today, so nothing yet has happened more than finding out who exactly to<br>
contact and a proposal submitted to do the work.<br>
Based on their webpage they use G.711 as the codec (they say you need<br>
80kbps of bandwidth per call). &nbsp;It is unclear at this time if they<br>
support any standard VoIP protocol or not, they specifically state they<br>
are not compatible with asterisk, and imply they are only compatible<br>
with their device.<br>
It is my belief that the dongle itself is not smart enough to do<br>
anything but act as a FXS port, and that the software that controls it<br>
is what controls everything else. &nbsp;I do not know if they are receptive<br>
to linux support (which should be most BSD/POSIX compatible systems if<br>
my proposal is accepted).<br>
I also do not know if they are even receptive to the idea of a 3rd party<br>
writing and maintaining drivers for their hardware since it can cause<br>
them some problems in terms of support queries. &nbsp;My hope is yes, but I<br>
probably wont know until well after the weekend since it is a holiday in<br>
many places around the world. &nbsp;I further do not know if they will allow<br>
open source or not, I do not know if they will allow support for their<br>
service (regardless of the device itself) which would allow open source<br>
switches to utilize it.<br>
Worst case I may just get one and sniff the usb bus to see what they do<br>
and how they do it and code based on that, if the inet part isnt<br>
terribly difficult I may write something that would interface, for all I<br>
know its just generic SIP.<br>
--<br>
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;US +1 516 687 5200<br>