[asterisk-biz] Profitable Wholesale Carriers?

Douglas Garstang DGarstang at interainc.com
Mon Jul 30 11:52:59 CDT 2007

I see a lot of wholesale and business SIP origination and termination
carriers on the voip-info web site at:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP+Service+Providers+Business+North
+America

The list seems to be growing daily. Do people actually make money doing
this? I would have thought that the profit margins on carrying minutes
would have been measured in fractions of a cent. I'm a little curious
how people cut a profit unless they are passing millions of minutes per
month. If they are, I wonder how they get business when there are so
many out there doing it.

Do these companies just resell other people's networks, like Level 3? Do
they build their own term/orig POP's in datacenters around the world and
use the public Internet to route calls, or do they build private
networks? Both must be expensive. Once again, I'm curious how they can
cut a profit???

Doug.