[asterisk-biz] Big VoIP switches

Wasim Baig wasim at convergence.pk
Wed Jul 25 12:27:20 CDT 2007

Just thinking out load here ...

with * you'd use 1U pizza boxes, say with 2x 8E1 cards in it,
thats 16 E1 (T1 for the alaw challenged) per U

now ... lets say each server costs $2k, and the 8E1 card is $2500, thats $7k
per box

so, total $56k for 128 E1 ... half a million bucks, give or take a few, for
1000 E1

yes it would take a great engineer astmaster to design/set it up to be
carrier grade, but it could be fun, real fun :)

-wasim

On 7/25/07, Jon Weisman <jweisman at ibell.net> wrote:

> I'd go w/ Sonus. They are carrier grade...its what the big boys use.
>
> http://www.sonusnet.com
>

> Jon Weisman | Director of Engineering
> International Bell Communications
> www.ibell.net
> www.ibellhost.com
> www.aeronhelpdesk.com

wasim h. baig | principal consultant | convergence pk | +92 300 8508070