[asterisk-biz] Sprint via L3 problems: no DTMF

Anthony Cennami acennami at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:27:06 CDT 2007

My organization uses L3 among others directly for SIP orig/term.  It is
worth noting that some time ago we received communication from L3 that their
new infrastructure (switch software update) would no longer support Asterisk
1.2 DTMF, and that users term/orig calls on the L3 network would be required
to upgrade to 1.4.x by 8/1/07

I'm not sure L3 is aware of the implications of this, nor their sub-carriers
who provide wholesale/resold access into the L3 network, but it is
unfortunately true.

1.4 came with a substantial rewrite of the DTMF code, and in fact requires
SIP options to be enabled if you are going to be passing calls between 1.4and
1.2 boxes.

Personally I think L3 is going to be unhappy when they find out just how
many * 1.2 boxes are terminating RTP directly to them, and that many of
those people will be forced to reroute traffic/switch carriers/upgrade
systems.

For those of you who are not connected directly with L3, but do terminate
RTP with them, I suggest you speak to your reseller to determine what you or
they may need to do......

anthony

On 7/20/07, jltaylor at metrotel.net <jltaylor at metrotel.net> wrote:

> Many times this is a cell phone config problem.
> Look at the settings on the cell phone for DTMF.
> If it is on "SHORT" then change it to "LONG" or "continuous".
>
> James Taylor
> MetroTel
> http://www.metrotel.net
> 1-972-505-3503
>

> Quoting Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com>:
>
> > Folks --
> >
> > I'm troubleshooting a strange issue.
> >
> > Asterisk 1.2.13 -> Vitelity -> L3 -> Sprint Mobile Phone 703-867
> >
> > DTMF fails from the Sprint Mobile Phone back to my Asterisk box.
> >
> > When Vitelity routes that call out a different carrier, DTMF works fine.
> >
> > Can those of you with access to L3 termination and a Sprint Mobile test
> > DTMF back to asterisk?
> >
> > Beckman

> > Peter Beckman                                                  Internet
> Guy
> > beckman at angryox.com
> http://www.angryox.com/

> > ** PLEASE NOTE PurpleCow.com IS NOW AngryOx.com DO NOT USE PurpleCow.com**
> > ** PurpleCow.com is now owned by City Auto Credit LLC as of May 23, 2007
> **

Anthony Cennami