[asterisk-biz] Big VoIP switches

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Tue Jul 17 14:44:21 CDT 2007

SIP wrote:
> We're looking to price some massive VoIP switches for our statewide
> network.  Something that can handle anywhere between 100 and 1000 T1s
> (actual T1 circuits).
>
> Anyone familiar with hardware that will do that many T1s reliably?
> Perhaps collections of hardware that will work harmoniously....

For this size, I'd definitely recommend a clustered architecture. You
could use a set of Asterisk machines doing VoIP <-> T1 bridging, along
with call routing, billing, etc, and a set of SER/OpenSER machines in
front to distribute calls between then. For example, see the diagram
half way down:

http://integrics.com/products/enswitch/guides/latest/en/system/architecture/

(with many more Asterisk machines of course).

Some of our larger Enswitch customers are within the call volume range
you mention above (though the larger systems tend to be SIP only as 25
to 250 Digium cards and the machines to run them in start getting
expensive), and running very happily on this architecture.

Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111
+44 20 799 39 799
sip:acunningham at integrics.com