[asterisk-biz] Better ITSP Bureau

Elliot Otchet elliot.otchet at callingcircles.com
Fri Jul 13 11:52:03 CDT 2007

I have to agree with Matthew (and others) on the need to objectively
quantify complaints against an ITSP, but I think the whole issue is
speaking to a larger issue:  the need to objectively quantify VoIP
performance with concrete metrics under real world conditions.  As many
on this list may know, the Baby Bells (not such babies anymore) are
rightfully regulated in US jurisdictions by government run agencies
(e.g. Public Service Commission) who require and demand accurate
performance statistics and reliability.

Generally PSCs receive reports and set requirements for things like
uptime in power failures, response times to critical outages, and in
some states - even the time customers are on hold!.  I'm not calling for
regulations from the government, but I do think it's high time that we
start publishing - unbiased - statistics about which configurations work
well and most importantly - which configurations don't (configurations
can include ITSPs/Hardware/Oses/etc.)

If others are interested and capable, might I suggest we consider
starting a project within the Asterisk community to capture such
performance metrics and offer users the ability to publish them?

Food for thought.  Contact me off list if you're interested this idea.

Best regards,

Elliot