[asterisk-biz] Re: [asterisk-users] H.264 *Not Patented*

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jan 27 11:50:45 MST 2007

> On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 11:33 -0500, Lee Jenkins wrote:
>

> > >     How does H.264 compare with GSM and G.729 in CPU demand
> (MIPS:Kbps) and
> > > audio quality at low bitrates? GSM is $free, but G.729 is higher
> quality
>
> I just caught this but oh well.  GSM as used in asterisk has patent claims
by philips.  It expires this June or July I forget, Philips seems to have
stopped trying to enforce their patent claims on the very library asterisk
uses, but right now technically using it without a license could get you
sued (only part of the gsm codec is claimed to be patented).

The newer GSM 6.10 which afaik asterisk does not support although there
might be 3rd party people doing it has additional patents on the AMR parts
of it.  Those dont expire so quickly.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!