[asterisk-biz] Verizon v Vonage

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Feb 23 08:03:33 MST 2007

On 2/23/07, Sergey Kuznetsov <asterisk_biz at deeptown.org> wrote:

> Peter Beckman wrote:
> >

> >  She also mentioned that it wasn't out of the question for a federal
> case
> >  like this to cost $1m/month in legal fees.  Ouch.
> >
> That's what Verizon wants, just to drown smaller competitor knowing that
> then can use
> this stack of patents only once.

patent suits often cost $1-2M, why companies like RTI get $20k for LCR and
J2/efax get $1/customer for fax2email.  Most people cant afford to fight the
patent, but they can afford to license it.

With the tort reform that I discussed this cost would be placed on the
loser, so if its a bogus patent the patent holder would have to pay the
person they tried to sue over it.  It would likely make bogus patent suits
far less common.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!