[asterisk-biz] Small business traditional phones or IP Phone?

Mon Feb 5 13:53:58 MST 2007

Pierre Marceau wrote:
> 4 - Using IP phones means running new ethernet wires to the phone locations (but thats all part of the fun!) on the other hand some phones have 2 ethernet ports, I guess they are '2 port ethernet hubs' so plug the phone into the wall and the existing computer into the phone, keep in mind the old ethernet rule "no two devices should be more than 5 switches apart". I don't like the idea of these 2 port phones and prefer the idea of running cable.

Another thing to think about that is not often mentioned...

On a 2-port phone both of the ports are 10-BaseT, so if you move a lot
of data between your PC and a server, or you are a torrent addict, or
anything else that causes large amounts of data to be moved, you have
now slowed yourself down significantly.  Also, if you try one of these
large data moves during a call, you will degrade the call because the PC
will be eating up all of the bandwidth.