[asterisk-biz] RS-232 FAX/Modems for Faxing !?

Trevor Peirce tpeirce at digitalcon.ca
Wed Aug 22 18:14:08 CDT 2007

Seysan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> about 1 week ago I asked a question about using EXTERNAL Fax/Modems
> (RS-232)  that can be used as an FXO or FXS.
> But I couldn't get to a clear answer yet!

 From my understanding you can never get voice capabilities from an
external modem connected by serial cable.
> Has anyone used EXTERNAL Fax/Modems to SEND/Recv FAXES?
If it is a fax modem, it can send & receive faxes.  I don't think you'd
want to use asterisk for this, however.  Asterisk wants to route voice
calls, not fax calls unless you add patches which still probably won't
let you use a faxmodem.

> Can we use them for faxing at least?
Easily... just not with asterisk :)

I'm not an authoritative source on this, but from my limited experience
with faxing everything above is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Regards,
Trevor

--
Does your Canadian VoIP service need CRTC-compliant 9-1-1 services?  Please
visit http://www.digitalcon.ca/voip9-1-1/ to find out more!