[asterisk-biz] Skype Outage Leaves Millions Speechless

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Aug 17 11:22:28 CDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Aleks Clark <aleks.clark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, the crazy p2p connections actually reinforce their algorithm
> story. If their p2p algorithms have flaked out, it could cause all sorts of
> trouble. OTOH, I don't think they'd run logins over p2p....

given the press from days past about how someone cracked the algorithm
and could write their own client that ebay cant control, almost makes
you wonder if it was an auto-update gone awry to try to change the
algorithm.

I dont know what the default setting is, but do know that skype can be
set to auto-update itself, which means that some may have been
affected while others werent for that reason alone.

I am certain though that skype wouldnt admit if it was this, and its
likely that any front line people at skype wouldnt know one way or the
other for sure what is broke.
Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200