[asterisk-biz] Interconnected VOIP is virtualphoneline.com falling into it?

jltaylor at metrotel.net jltaylor at metrotel.net
Mon Aug 13 07:24:46 CDT 2007

The FCC in rule 9, which came from the VOIP e911 order, talked about
being "interconnected".

However, if this is about USF, then here's what USAC has to say about it:

"...In the past, only long distance companies made contributions to
support the federal Universal Service Fund. In 1996, Congress passed a
law that expanded the types of companies contributing to the Universal
Service Fund..."

"...Currently, all telecommunications companies that provide service
between states, including long distance companies, local telephone
companies, wireless telephone companies, paging companies, and
payphone providers, are required to contribute to the federal
Universal Service Fund. Carriers providing international services also
must contribute to the Universal Service Fund..."

You don't have to be in the list, because it says "all".  The only
exemptions would be for VOIP-to-VOIP with no ability to reach the PSTN.

This is for USF.  The 911 thing had some different requirements:
"broadband connection", "receive AND terminate" so if you don't
provide "termination" then 911 is not an issue (other than the
sticker).  It also looks like if you do it over dial-up (no
broadband), then you could be exempt from 911.

Historical Note: In the past, the term "interconnected" or
"interconnection" has been used in ONE-WAY telecommunications.  The
FCC made it clear that paging companies could be and were indeed
"interconnected" if they touched the PSTN. Thus if a pager had a DID
number, where you could access and send a signal to it from the PSTN,
you were "interconnected".

And, paging companies pay into the USF.

James Taylor
http://www.metrotel.net